Employers, Time to Tackle Your To-Do List
on March 24, 2014on March 24, 2014
Now that we are months into 2014, it is time for employers to tackle their list of things that must be addressed this year. Every employer has their own issues that must be addressed, but below are a few items to consider:
- Social media policies. You must consider whether your existing social media policies (if you have any) are adequate or whether they should be revised. Do they adequately protect your trade secrets? Is it clear which social media accounts belong to the company and which belong to the employee?
- Disability policies. Employers must consider the expanded definition of “disability” under the American with Disabilities Act Amendments Act of 2008, which now includes certain mental and physical diseases and illnesses.
- Agreements and waivers. Employers should review their arbitration agreement and confirm it has a class action waiver. If you do not have an arbitration agreement, you should strongly consider creating one.
- Family Medical Leave Act. In 2014, the term “spouse” has been broadened to include same-sex spouses if marriage is recognized in the state where the employee lives.
- Personal devices. Employers should consider implementing a policy regarding an employee’s use of personal electronic devices in the workplace. This is important to protect your company’s privacy, trade secrets and confidentiality.
For help with your business matters, contact Slater, Tenaglia, Fritz & Hunt to schedule a free initial consultation.
The attorneys at Slater, Tenaglia, Fritz & Hunt, P.A., provide clients with experienced legal representation. We handle many types of business disputes on behalf of corporate clients, including Fortune 500 Corporations and individuals throughout New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania and nationally. Our attorneys handle cases from pre-litigation negotiations through litigation to obtaining and enforcing judgments. If you need assistance, or are interested in learning more, please contact us by phone at (201) 820-6001 in New Jersey or (212) 692-0200 in New York. We can also be found on Facebook, Linkedin, Twitter, Google+, Youtube and the Internet. All initial consultations are free of charge.